Updated 10/1/2013 — See Below
Virginia Exchange Website Information
If you live in Virginia, you will use the federal government website, HealthCare.gov, to shop and apply for coverage. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2014.
The Virginia Health Insurance Exchange will be operated through a federally-run health insurance exchange, also referred to as the Health Insurance Marketplace.
Starting October 1, 2013, Virginia residents will be able to access information about all the plans available through the Exchange, shop for plans, and access individual premium tax credits. The SHOP Exchange will be available to small businesses with 100 or fewer employees. Coverage from the Exchange starts in January 2014.
Virginia Health Exchange Insurers (as of 7/18/2013):
Nine commercial health insurance companies have applied to sell qualified plans through the Virginia health exchange, which opens for enrollment on October 1. In addition, six companies have applied to sell through the state’s Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP), which will provide plans for companies with fewer than 50 employees to offer coverage to their workers.
- Wellpoint’s CareFirst BlueChoice
- Coventry Health Care
- Group Hospitalization and Medical Services
- Innovation Health insurance Company
- Kaiser Foundation Health plan of the mid-Atlantic States
- Optima health
- Piedmont Community HealthCare
Four of those companies will operate in Roanoke Valley and in much of the New River Valley.
- Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield’s HealthKeepers
- Optima Health Plan
- Aetna Life Insurance
- Coventry Health Care.
There will also be four other insurers operating in Bedford County, three operating in Floyd and Botetourt Counties and two in Alleghany County and the majority of Southwest Virginia, with the exception of Lee and Grayson counties. The number of companies operating on the Virginia health exchange promises to provide competition that will hopefully drive premiums lower.
Recent Virginia Exchange News
- General Assembly: Senate votes to reverse abortion rules; House unlikely to agree – Daily Press February 6, 2014
General Assembly: Senate votes to reverse abortion rules; House unlikely to agreeDaily PressIt deals with state restrictions on abortion coverage in insurance policies purchased through the health car …
- Risk Corridors Out, Doc Fix In – Health Care Edge: Brought to you by Coalition … – National Journal February 6, 2014
San Francisco ChronicleRisk Corridors Out, Doc Fix In – Health Care Edge: Brought to you by Coalition …National JournalBefore the Affordable Care Act, buying health insurance on the exchange was har …
- Free Clinic to host Marketplace Exchange expert Feb. 22 – Roanoke Times February 6, 2014
Free Clinic to host Marketplace Exchange expert Feb. 22Roanoke TimesKishore will guide session participants through the online health insurance Marketplace Exchange and help them explore their options …
- Health exchange bill fails in committee – Richmond Times Dispatch February 5, 2014
Health exchange bill fails in committeeRichmond Times DispatchThe House Commerce and Labor Committee on Tuesday killed a proposal to create a state-run health insurance exchange and approved relief so …
- Washington's Insurance Exchange Is Winning, Too; NY and Calif. See Strong … – Kaiser Health News February 4, 2014
CIproud.comWashington's Insurance Exchange Is Winning, Too; NY and Calif. See Strong …Kaiser Health NewsMore than 33 percent of eligible Washington residents have signed up for care on the stat …