Updated 10/1/2013 — See Below
Virginia Exchange Website Information
If you live in Virginia, you will use the federal government website, HealthCare.gov, to shop and apply for coverage. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2014.
The Virginia Health Insurance Exchange will be operated through a federally-run health insurance exchange, also referred to as the Health Insurance Marketplace.
Starting October 1, 2013, Virginia residents will be able to access information about all the plans available through the Exchange, shop for plans, and access individual premium tax credits. The SHOP Exchange will be available to small businesses with 100 or fewer employees. Coverage from the Exchange starts in January 2014.
Virginia Health Exchange Insurers (as of 7/18/2013):
Nine commercial health insurance companies have applied to sell qualified plans through the Virginia health exchange, which opens for enrollment on October 1. In addition, six companies have applied to sell through the state’s Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP), which will provide plans for companies with fewer than 50 employees to offer coverage to their workers.
- Wellpoint’s CareFirst BlueChoice
- Coventry Health Care
- Group Hospitalization and Medical Services
- Innovation Health insurance Company
- Kaiser Foundation Health plan of the mid-Atlantic States
- Optima health
- Piedmont Community HealthCare
Four of those companies will operate in Roanoke Valley and in much of the New River Valley.
- Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield’s HealthKeepers
- Optima Health Plan
- Aetna Life Insurance
- Coventry Health Care.
There will also be four other insurers operating in Bedford County, three operating in Floyd and Botetourt Counties and two in Alleghany County and the majority of Southwest Virginia, with the exception of Lee and Grayson counties. The number of companies operating on the Virginia health exchange promises to provide competition that will hopefully drive premiums lower.
Recent Virginia Exchange News
- Few sign up for health care on state exchange – Daily Mail – Charleston November 14, 2013
Few sign up for health care on state exchangeDaily Mail – CharlestonHighmark West Virginia, the only state health insurance provider participating in the marketplace, announced Wednesday evening 198 p …
- Slow start for health care enrollment in Virginia, nation – Richmond Times Dispatch November 14, 2013
Slow start for health care enrollment in Virginia, nationRichmond Times DispatchVirginians account for slightly less than 1 percent of the 106,185 Americans who enrolled in health plans through the fe …
- For some areas, insurance plan choices are paltry – USA TODAY November 14, 2013
Government TechnologyFor some areas, insurance plan choices are paltryUSA TODAYUSA TODAY analyzed data from HealthCare.gov, the federal health insurance exchange selling plans for 34 of the states tha …
- For many, Obama's promise of health care choice does not ring true – CNN November 1, 2013
For many, Obama's promise of health care choice does not ring trueCNNA Department of Health and Human Services report released in late September asserted that an average of eight insurance compan …
- Health Policies Canceled in Latest Hurdle for Obamacare – Bloomberg October 30, 2013
Health Policies Canceled in Latest Hurdle for ObamacareBloomberg“I keep playing that over and over in my head: that you can keep your health plan, period,” said Terri Flay, a Manassas, Virginia-area w …